Sunday, February 14, 2010

To cut the sweet...





I love romance and all that is good and lovely in the world, but I commiserate with those who find Valentine's Day depressing and manufactured. Sometimes you want a little tart to the sweet, you know?
A few years back, my two youngest were into drawing monsters, and made a collection of their drawings. Actually - they're still doing them and I think they're AWESOME!! I keep them all. I love the artistry of Tim Burton and like to think I've passed my affection down : ).
So today I am posting some embroidery work I did in 08 of some of their work. I am making a monster quilt. I tried to stay true to colours they drew with, and in the case of pencil drawings I asked them what colours they envisioned. These squares have been completed for over a year but since I don't know anything about sewing/quilting they've stayed in my closet. I have to get this project done!
Anyway Happy Love Day - whether it's romantic, platonic, or just lovin' planet earth - and all the magic and treasures that are here waiting for us if we just open our eyes.

6 comments:

Tammy Hext said...

Kim - this is fantastic work. What an awesome interpretation of their monster drawings. I totally cannot wait to see this project finished (which reminds me I have a project inspired by my son that I need to finish). Race you!

Janie B said...

Very cool! Can't wait to see the completed quilt.

Mary Anne Cary said...

You better learn to quilt honey, cuz these are fabulous, and I think you could keep going and start a new line!!
The orders just might keep pouring in! Lucky kids you have!

Kim Rempel said...

Oh thanks! Mary Anne, I had to laugh at your comment. I think they'd feel luckier if they actually had their quilt instead of just some squares to stare at. lol But thanks very much : ) I had a lot of fun with it.

adrienne trafford said...

what an awesome idea

Gwen Bell said...

Was just taking a leisurely stroll back through your blog when I saw this! AWESOME, Mom! Your kids are going to treasure this forever.

I love to quilt and made quite a few over the years but nothing as cool and imaginative as this.

Be sure and post the finished piece. Can't wait to see it!