Friday, April 29, 2011

Scotland cairn - SOLD

We came across a large rock pile that people had built small cairns on. I believe the intent of these was akin to wishing safe travel. We each added one to the lot. In Canada we call them Inukshuks, which come from the Inuit. The farther north you drive in Ontario the greater chance of seeing Inukshuks built by passers-by. I love looking for them whenever we head up north. And hey - just because I'm in the spirit of things - Cheers Will and Kate! 
6" x 6" / oil on archival panel / SOLD

6 comments:

Katie said...

This is fantastic! I love how you used the paint in layers.

SUSAN RODEN said...

Nice little painting Kim.
Didn't realize rock piling was a tradition in parts of the world. I was just at a Touristy place and saw performances by Buskers. One guy built rock piles along a cliff that shouldered the water. Quite a sight!

Kelley Carey MacDonald said...

Love the cairns - like in Sedona! I think people do these cairns where there are spiritual vortexes - don't ask me to explain! I'm thrilled with this painting, and encourage you to do more Scotland paintings - I have a dream to go there myself someday!

mary maxam said...

Yes, I like the layers and the Scotland paintings too. Familiar, but different somehow. Also, those warm varied browns are so nice

AK said...

These interesting things really fascinate me. And you have got it bang on in your own style. Great work Kim.

Jane Hunt said...

Your brushwork is really interesting in this one - love the variation.