Tuesday, November 1, 2011

My monster quilt

Today I began re-working the Moose painting from yesterday but ended up being needed elsewhere...plans shifted! So I decided to post a picture of my monster quilt I got back from the quilter's the other day. 
This quilt began around 2007 when I decided to transfer the monster drawings my kids were making into stitchery/quilt squares. I enlarged their drawings on the photocopier so that they were roughly the same size. Then when it came time to choose fabric I stayed true to the colour schemes they had chosen. I wanted to keep their vision through the process as much as possible. I love how kids draw. It's so fresh, pure and unself-conscious.
There are two people I want to thank:
1. My dear friend Iris H. made a piece of stitchery from one of her children's drawings (probably 30 years ago?) and it was one of the most poignant and charming things I've seen! Maybe I can photograph it sometime and post it on the blog. There's a cool story behind it. Anyway - that was my inspiration. Thanks Iris - you have the coolest things ; )
The second person is Donna B. - a creative quilter who has been extremely helpful: first in teaching me how to embroider and hand stitch and then by sewing together my squares. She'll also be finishing it for me. If it weren't for Donna the squares would still be stacked in a pile on my closet shelf. Thanks Donna!
So I just love looking at it! It's a great memory from a period of their childhoods and it makes me smile and feel all warm and fuzzy ; )

10 comments:

Crystal Cook said...

Kim that is simply the most awesome thing I've seen all day. i absolutely love it! What a treasure. :)))))

Virginia Floyd said...

How adorable, Kim! Their drawings are wonderful. What a great idea!

martinealison said...

Des dessins remplis de sensibilité... Vous dormez avec un trésor très précieux...
gros bisous

Carrie Waller Watercolors said...

What a terrific quilt!!! And I love that idea so much! I'm going to have to do that also, such an awesome way to treasure those amazing artworks:)

lcrempel said...

It's lovely Kim. Syl said to tell you she's impressed!

John Christie Art said...

This is very cool.

Jerry Stocks said...

This is so wonderful. I worked in the needlework industry for fifteen years, and I know quality work. This is over the top.

Rachel said...

What a fun quilt! Such a great idea and it turned out wonderful.

Anonymous said...

What a treasure!!! This jewel will bless you all for a very long time. The monsters are just delightful.

Barbara Muir said...

Awesome Kim,

XO Barbara -- Very touching