Sunday, November 6, 2011

Oak at sunset

When I was cleaning my studio this past week I hung up a bunch of pieces that had been stacked in piles against the wall. I unearthed a few I'd forgotten about. These paintings are of the same oak tree. The top painting (at sunset) was the first one I did. It's 12" square. I loved the tree so much that the following week I went back to paint it again but this time I brought a large canvas (I can't remember exactly - maybe 36" square?) It now resides in Amsterdam (Cheers Michel & Sonia!). Again I notice how the first time round I was very detailed. I find sometimes when I'm really trying to understand a subject I often paint it this way, and then the second time I have the info stored in my brain and I can just go. 

7 comments:

suzanneberry said...

i'll say! these are amazing, so glad you posted them! really well done...sunset is strikingly beautiful in a sultry warm way, the same way the larger is with the cool sky. great work kim

Mary Anne Cary said...

Love both of them Kim, nice work. Most of my old paintings I uncover, I don't want to show to anyone! These are great....

martinealison said...

Vos arbres sont beaux, vos arbres sont vivants... la manière que les branches se ramifient me plait...
gros bisous

Grimsby Public Art Gallery said...

Kim! I forgot to tell you when you were here this afternoon that I love the artwork that you submitted for Local Produce! I will be bidding on it for sure :)
~Allison

Kim Rempel said...

Thanks! And thank you Allison ; ) I <3 your spaceman series!!

Nicki said...

Both appeal to me- it is interesting to compare them.

adrienne trafford said...

you are so talented - these are crazy good!