Wednesday, February 19, 2014

The Great Upheaval at the Art Gallery of Ontario

On the weekend we went to see The Great Upheaval: Masterpieces from the Guggenheim Collection, 1910-1918 at the Art Gallery of Ontario. A very good show. I find going through with the audio support quite enriching as they impart bits of info they don't write on the wall descriptors. I have shared my three favourites below with links back to the Guggenheim site if you want to read a little further.
Do you get to galleries often? The more I go, the stronger the pull. You know how runners talk about "runners high"? I think "art gallery-goers high" is a condition as well ; ) What was the most memorable show you ever saw? Mine was Van Gogh: Up Close at the National Gallery of Canada in Ottawa in summer 2012. I actually had the experience of tearing up in front of a painting. That moving. The whole show blew me away. I wrote about it here. Anyway, without further ado, here were my picks this weekend:
Marc Chagall / Paris Through the Window, 1913

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Kim, My favourite exhibition was Picasso at the National Gallery in 1998. I bought the little audio thingy, and enjoyed it very much. Last week I went to the Peter Doig exhibition in MMFA, it was really inspiring too. I had not seen the Chagall piece you posted before. I like.

Barbara Muir said...

Thanks Kim,

I will have to see it. I was at the AGO the other night with my students in the Canadian gallery. Then we drove to Ottawa yesterday and I felt like we were driving through all of those winter paintings. I was deeply moved.

Most memorable show? One in Stuttgart, Germany where I stood in front of Monet's Poplar series and felt like he was with me in his incredible suit, and could see him doing the quick line of colour along the horizon. Telling Steven about it I cried too.

Wonderful post Kim.
XOXOXOXO Barbara

Sandra Busby said...

Fabulous Kim! Thanks for sharing :0)